For many years, country music fans have found meaning and truth buried in song lyrics. And in 2017, you may be able to find your New Year’s resolution hiding in your favorite lyrics, too. These words from country music’s leading ladies may inspire your New Year’s resolution.
1. “Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.”
– Kacey Musgraves, “Biscuits”
Keeping your nose out of other people’s business and worrying about yourself may be easier said than done, but resolving to mind your own business could save you a lot of trouble in 2017.
2. “What you do with trash? You take it out. So why are you letting him hang around?”
– Maren Morris, “Drunk Girls Don’t Cry”
The New Year is a perfect time to do some cleaning – both literally and figuratively. So this year, while you’re de-cluttering your closet, don’t forget to throw out all the negative people in your life, too.
3. “When I can’t fly, I start to fall. But I’ve got wheels, I’m rolling on.”
– Miranda Lambert, “I’ve Got Wheels”
In 2017, resolve to roll with the punches and make do with what you have.
4. “It’s all about the company you keep.”
– Maren Morris, “Company You Keep”
It’s easy to get caught up in wanting the finest clothes, the flashiest car, the fanciest food; but at the end of the day, like Morris says, “it’s all about the company you keep.” Set a goal to surround yourself with good people in the New Year.
5. “There’s a lot of open doors, you can go and explore. You can always open more if you’re hitting a wall.”
– Kelsea Ballerini, “Square Pegs”
This year, don’t let minor setbacks throw you off course. Heed this advice from Ballerini and blaze your own trail in 2017.
6. “Say what you think. Love who you love. ‘Cause you just get so many trips ’round the sun.”
– Kacey Musgraves, “Follow Your Arrow”
Take a page from Musgraves’ anthemic tune about staying true to yourself and make a resolution to be authentic and genuine this year.
7. “While you sit around thinking about what you can’t change and worrying about all the wrong things, time’s flying by, moving so fast. You better make it count ’cause you can’t get it back.”
– Carrie Underwood, “So Small”
Although “So Small” topped the country charts back in 2007, the lyrics of this Carrie Underwood hit still ring true a decade later. Life’s too short to waste time worrying about minor details. Listen to this advice from Underwood, and make 2017 your best year yet.