Back in 2015, country music heavyweights came together to celebrate Waylon Jennings' legacy at the Moody Theater in Austin, Texas. On April 7, CMT will air the concert, titled Outlaw: Celebrating the Music of Waylon Jennings.
The star-studded lineup included performers like Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Chris and Morgane Stapleton, Sturgill Simpson, Alison Krauss, Jamey Johnson, Toby Keith, among several others. Each artist performed one of Jennings' songs to highlight his influential career. Jennings' widow, Jessi Colter, and son, Shooter Jennings, helped organize the show, and also performed. You can read our recap of the show here.
In the clip below, you can watch the show's emotional closing number, "Luckenbach, Texas," which brought out the entire ensemble.
Jennings left an indelible mark on country music. One of the first outlaws in country music, he fought for control of his own sound, then released a string of certified gold albums in the 70's. In 1976, Jennings, Willie Nelson, Jessi Colter and Tompall Glaser released the first country record to go platinum. During his lifetime, Jennings recording more than 60 albums, even through his struggle with addiction. He has been inducted into both the Country Music and Grammy Halls of Fame.
Outlaw: Celebrating the Music of Waylon Jennings airs on CMT at 10 p.m. ET on April 7. A CD/DVD of the concert will also be released the same day.
Setlist for Outlaw: Celebrating the Music of Waylon Jennings
- Only Daddy That'll Walk the Line - Bobby Bare
- Whistlers and Jugglers - Shooter Jennings
- Mona - Jessi Colter
- Ain't Living Long Like This - Chris Stapleton
- Ride Me Down Easy - Lee Ann Womack
- Yours Love - Lee Ann Womack & Buddy Miller
- Memories of You And I - Sturgill Simpson
- The Wurlitzer Prize - Kacey Musgraves
- Freedom To Stay - Jamey Johnson
- Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way - Robert Earl Keen
- I Do Believe - Kris Kristofferson
- Storms Never Last - Kris Kristofferson & Jessi Colter
- Rainy Day Woman - Ryan Bingham
- Dreamin My Dreams - Alison Krauss
- I Ain't The One - Alison Krauss & Jamey Johnson
- Honkey Tonk Heroes - Toby Keith
- Lonesome, On'ry, and Mean - Eric Chruch
- Til I Gain Control Again - Willie Nelson
- Mamas Don't Let You Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys - Willie Nelson & Toby Keith
- My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys - Willie Nelson & Chris Stapleton
- Goodhearted Woman - Willie Nelson & Bobby Bare
- I Can Get Off On You - Willie Nelson & Sturgill Simpson
- Highwaymen - Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Jamey Johnson, Shooter Jennings
Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love)