Popeye's Chicken Sandwich
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon MSG
- neutral oil, for frying like canola or peanut oil
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 brioche buns
- 4 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (see above for instructions to make spicy mayonnaise)
- 12 to 16 dill pickle slices
- Prepare the chicken breasts by cutting them in half horizontally to create two chicken cutlets per breast.
- In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, salt, and MSG and whisk until it's well mixed. Add the chicken to the brine and cover it with a piece of plastic wrap. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for up to four hours.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat about 3 inches of oil to 350°F. If you're using an electric tabletop fryer, fill the unit to its MAX line.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, white pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Remove the chicken from the brine and shake off any excess liquid. Transfer the chicken to the flour bowl and press each piece firmly into the flour mixture, ensuring flour adheres to all sides. Dunk the chicken back into the brine before returning it to the flour mixture, again pressing firmly into the flour.
- Carefully place the chicken into the hot oil and cook, turning occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the chicken is browned on all sides. The internal temperature of the chicken should read 165°F. Remove the chicken to a paper-towel lined plate to catch any extra grease.
- While the chicken is cooking, lightly toast the buns in butter until they're golden brown.
- Coat the bottom and top buns with 1/2 tablespoon of mayonnaise. Add two to four pickles to the bottom bun and top it with the fried chicken. Serve immediately.
Editor's Note: Products featured on Wide Open Eats are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
What Is Amazon's Prime Early Access Sale? Amazon surprised us by announcing another huge sale before Cyber Week, so you'll be able to get a jump start on holiday shopping during their Early Access event today and tomorrow. During the 48-hour event, there will be steep discounts on holiday gifts, must-have big ticket items, and more — all before the holiday rush hits.
To shop the sale, you do need to be an Amazon Prime member, but you can sign up HERE for a free 30-day trial if you're not. An Amazon Prime subscription is $14.99 a month or $139 a year, and besides sale access it also includes their free same- or 2-day shipping policy on Prime-eligible products, a Prime Video subscription, and an Amazon Fresh subscription. The price is lower for students and those that qualify for certain government assistance programs, and you can find out your eligibility here. Once you sign up, you'll be ready to shop the best outdoor deals that are sure to make your holiday gifting, baking, and cooking even better this year. We'll be updating live today and tomorrow with the best of the best.
If you're on TikTok, you've probably seen this Dash Mini Waffle Maker: it's a crowd favorite that is used to make individual waffles, hash browns, paninis, eggs, and other inventive dishes. It heats up in minutes, works quickly, and is a great option for an RV or dorm room. This gift set comes with heart-shaped measuring spoons and a cookbook, too.
The Instant Pot has been a popular appliance for many years now, but their newest version isn't just a pressure cooker: it's an air fryer, too. It also works as a steamer, sauté pan, roaster, mini oven, broiler, and dehydrator. This is the must-have kitchen tool right now (it shines for winter meals such as soups, stews, and chilis), and you won't find it at a better price.
Stock up on new kitchen utensils — 40 to be exact! The best part is that you'll be able to use hooks to hang spatulas and spoons. This will help keep your kitchen drawers clutter-free.
Airtight containers are a must-have to keep the kitchen organized, and this affordable set will be great for holiday baking and pantry maintenance. Put oats, rice, flour, chocolate chips and seal them tight, plus this comes with a chalkboard marker, labels, and measuring cups. The 24-container set comes complete with four different sizes.
This must-have kitchen appliance is 20% off right now, making it a great early Prime Day kitchen deal to snag today. It can fit a seven-pound roast and make soups and stews for over nine people. The warming feature is great to keep food ready to eat and serve all day (perfect for football or gatherings), and the inside is dishwasher-safe.
This wireless meat thermometer connects to your phone and allows you to keep track of your meat, veggies, or roasts on the oven or the grill up to 500 feet away. It has excellent features like a vibration or alarm when the food is done, how many more minutes might be left, and saved temperatures so you can cook the meat to your liking.
When the holidays start to creep up, we're reminded of just many parties we'll be attending — and that means casseroles, desserts, and other oven-ready meals for family events and holiday gatherings. I'm hoping to find something like this high-quality glass baking dish on sale, and then grab a few to give as additional gifts to the host so I don't have to worry about anyone not returning my dishes.
Ah, the Vitamix blender — it was one of the best Prime Day kitchen deals in July and a staple in many a foodie's kitchen. If you didn't buy it then, we're hoping it's on sale this time around. This will seriously help with your holiday cooking: use it to blend butternut squash or pumpkin soup, whip up eggnog, grind up spices or coffee for desserts, and more. This is a professional-grade product, and we anticipate it will make one of the best prime day kitchen deals in their Early Access event.
This bright, colorful mini Kitchen-Aid stand mixer will be a great gift for yourself or someone you know — and although it's smaller than the standard version, it still functions exactly the same and comes in a range of fun, bright colors. Here's to hoping it's on sale: it'll be a great purchase to help out with perfect pie crusts and cookies this season.
Big sales events are the best time to replace older items in your kitchen that could use an upgrade, and something like this T-Fal nonstick set would go so much farther in the kitchen than your old set can. It comes with everything from pans to pots, includes the lids, and even has some fun extras like a strainer and a griddle for pancakes or bacon.
Keep checking back here for more of the Best Prime Day Kitchen Deals during the Early Access Sale in October!
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.