Easter Sunday is a day for family time and lighthearted fun; after all, what could be more enjoyable than watching children gleefully run around the yard looking for candy? Easter is also a day that takes planning, since many of us use this day to celebrate with a delicious meal full of classic Easter dishes like glazed ham, Easter bread and lamb. Not to mention, you need chocolate Easter bunnies, treats to put inside eggs, and eggs to dye! However, no matter how much you plan head, things can come up, like having an extra few guests or doing the wrong math for how many potatoes you need. Because of this, it's always best to know which stores are open on Easter.
To avoid any mishaps, you'd better get your shopping done before April 17th because more and more shops are closing their doors this year to take the day off. Although online shopping sites like Amazon are always open, sometimes you need something you can't wait to be delivered. While we can't predict future problems, like the Easter bunny forgot to pick up the Easter eggs or the dog got into the ham, it's a good idea to have a look at which stores are closed before heading out for last minute shopping.
This list includes major department stores that have decided to close nationwide, along with national chains and drug stores. This list of stores may or may not reflect every location so make sure to call ahead of time to find out the operating hours.
The Stores Closed on Easter
- Sam's Club
- Big Y
- Best Buy
- Nordstrom Rack
- TJ Maxx
- Hobby Lobby
- Barnes & Noble
Most grocery store chains close for the entirety of Easter Sunday but some may be open in the afternoon. If you forgot to grab that last piece of chocolate for your basket or the potatoes for your Easter brunch or dinner, make a call on Good Friday to your local grocery store to find out whether the normal operating hours apply this Easter.
And for those that don't celebrate Easter, here's a list of which stores are open so you can still get your shopping on.
Stores Open on Easter Sunday
- Albertsons - some locations are open, but call your local store beforehand because some will be closed.
- Dollar General
- The Fresh Market- open from 8 am to 6 pm
- Harris Teeter
- Piggly Wiggly - call to check hours beforehand
- Safeway - some hours will be different
- Stop & Shop - stores will be open form 7 am to 5 pm, with a senior-only hour at 6 am to 7:30 am. Pharmacies will be open 9 am to 1 pm
- Whole Foods - check the hours first!
- Winn-Dixie - check before you go, as some locations might be closed.
- Vons- check the hours before going!
- Food Lion - hours vary by location
- Home Depot
- Kroger - call before going, as some locations will have different store hours
This post was originally published on April 18, 2019 and was updated March 28, 2022.
READ MORE: 10 Easter Cards To Mail To Family This Year
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.