It's cold outside and all you want is some comfort food in a bowl, right? This venison cheeseburger soup recipe swaps out ground beef for wild game in the form of ground venison for a warm, filling, creamy soup that is ready in under 40 minutes total time. In fact, while it's easy to make soup in a slow cooker, this soup comes together so fast, there's no reason not to make it on the stovetop. Trust us, it's going to be a new family favorite soup.
To get this venison cheeseburger soup started, chop one onion, a carrot, a rib of celery and toss the veggies into a large saucepan where you've melted some butter. Add the ground venison and cook until the venison is no longer pink. While the veggies and meat are cooking, chop two russet potatoes.
When the venison is cooked, add a 1/4 cup flour and cook over medium-high heat for a minute. The all-purpose flour helps to thicken the soup, but you want to cook it so that it doesn't taste like raw flour (partly because raw flour is not yummy, and partly because raw flour can have bacteria). Once the flour is cooked, add 3 cups chicken broth and the diced potatoes to the saucepan. Bring everything to a boil and let it simmer for about 10 minutes cook time, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
While the potatoes are cooking, cut up two hamburger buns because the best cheeseburger soup needs a bun. Toast the cubed buns. When the potatoes are done, gradually stir in 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (sharp cheddar cheese is fantastic, but any cheese you like is good, too) and 1 1/2 cups milk, making sure the mixture does not boil while the cheese melts. Season with salt and black pepper. Transfer the venison cheeseburger soup to bowls and top the delicious soup with the hamburger bun croutons and parsley.
Venison Cheeseburger Soup
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 lb ground venison
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 hamburger buns, cubed and toasted
- parsley to garnish
- Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot melt butter and cook the venison, onions, carrots, and celery until venison is no longer pink. Add in flour and cook 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth. Add in potatoes. Bring to a boil then simmer until potatoes are done, about 10 minutes.
- Gradually stir in cheese and milk, making sure the mixture does not boil. Transfer to bowls and top with the hamburger bun croutons and parsley.
Perfect PairingLove cheese? [embed_recipe id='20305']
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.