Texas Teen Bit By Venomous Snake While Playing Pokémon Go

Courtesy of Medical Center of Lewisville

A Texas teenager was bitten by a venomous snake while playing the incredibly popular virtual reality game Pokémon Go.

The mobile-based game has become an international sensation, just a few days after its release. As users roam around their town, they can use their phone's camera to "catch" various Pokémon.

18-year-old Lane Smith was searching for Pokémon in Flower Mound, Texas when he stepped on something that he thought was a stick. Since he was staring at his phone, he neglected to see that he had actually stomped on a venomous snake. After feeling a jolt of pain run up his leg, Smith immediately called his mother, who later rushed him to the emergency room.

"It was funny listening to him talk about how EMS guessed he was bit playing the game, and chatted with him about it," medical center spokeswoman CeCe Clemens told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "I don't think Mom thought it was so funny."

Thankfully for Smith, only one of the snake's fangs broke through his skin. He was released from the hospital the following day.

If you're playing Pokémon Go, there are a few common sense tips you should keep in mind. Try and keep your hunting to daylight hours, or stay in well-lit areas of your town. Never go exploring alone, and make sure you have a way of contacting help in case something does happen. And of course, always try to be aware of your surroundings.

oembed rumble video here

recommended for you

Texas Teen Bit By Venomous Snake While Playing Pokémon Go