One Tennessee family was shocked to find their beloved pet pig had survived raging wildfires that completely destroyed their home.
Rob Holmes found himself rushing his family out the door when their home became surrounded by flames earlier this month. His 18-month-old son even began having trouble breathing from the heavy smoke.
"All hell broke loose," Holmes explained. "The trees snapped and the power lines dangled over our driveway."
The family managed to escape unharmed, but they were devastated because they were unable to transport their beloved pet pig, Charles. The next day, a neighbor called the family to tell them some terrible news. Their entire house had burned to the ground. But there was a silver lining -- Charles was alive.
"When I arrived ... I couldn't believe my eyes," Holmes said in a Facebook post. "Charles had burrowed in the mud to survive. The lord let us keep Charles. How else could he [have] survived 800 degree temperatures. The alloy rims were melted off the car."
Although severely dehydrated and slightly burned, Charles was transported to the University of Tennessee Veterinary Hospital where he is steadily recovering.
"Charles is doing exceptionally well," Holmes says. "He got up to greet us and looks really good. He is still not wanting to get up much due to the burns on his hooves. But his spirit is back."
Although the Holmes aren't sure how long Charles will have to stay under a doctor's care, they feel blessed to have their entire family back together again.