These one bite stuffed mushrooms are a major crowd pleaser—the perfect appetizer to pass around before settling in for the big meal.
- 1 lb fresh whole white button mushrooms (About 20 mushrooms)
- 1/2 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 rib celery (Or sub out for 1 leek)
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan (plus more for sprinkling)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, to drizzle
- Remove stem from mushrooms and set the caps aside. (Use a small spoon or melon baller to make extra space in the caps, if you'd like.)
- Finely dice the mushroom stems, onion, garlic, and celery.
- Warm the butter over medium-high heat until it begins to foam. Toss in the chopped chopped stems and stir, cooking until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion, celery, garlic, oregano, as well as salt and pepper, if desired. Sauté until the onion is soft and golden, about 5 more minutes.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and let cool until about room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Add bread crumbs, parsley, and parmesan. Toss well to evenly combine.
- Spoon filling into mushroom caps, then place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Drizzle about 2 tbs olive oil over filled mushroom caps, then bake until the filling is heated through and the mushrooms are golden on top, about 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and fresh cracked pepper. Let cool about 10 minutes, then enjoy!
If you want an extra creamy filling, add cream cheese to the mix and reserve the breadcrumbs for a topping. You may need extra mushrooms with that extra volume, though. These are really easy to make ahead. Follow the recipe entirely, then refrigerate (or even freeze) until ready to serve, then reheat in the oven until warmed through. Or, save the baking until just before serving.