Steakhouse Creamed Spinach
More savory than your average creamed spinach, this version ups the ante with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and a rich roux.
- 24 oz baby spinach
- 8 tbs butter, divided
- 5 tbs flour
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan (Optional)
- Over medium, melt 3 tbs butter in a large pot. Add as much spinach as you can, adding more as it cooks down, if necessary. Cook until wilted but not soggy, 4-5 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- In that same pot, melt the remaining 5 tbs butter. Sprinkle in 5 tbs flour and stir to evenly combine. Stirring occasionally, cook until light golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and garlic, stir, and cook until softened, 1-2 minutes.
- Add milk, whisking while pouring to ensure the flour mix gets incorporated. Stirring occasionally, cook until thickened like a gravy, about 5 minutes.
- Season cream with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add spinach and stir gently to combine. Serve immediately, topped with Parmesan, if desired.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.