Spicy Ham Macaroni and Cheese Bake
Use up that tasty leftover ham in this flavorful twist on a comfort food classic. Serve with a side salad for a delicious, filling meal.
- 1 lb dried macaroni
- 4 tbs butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 tbs spicy mustard
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 cup cooked ham, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar, grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated (Plus more for garnish)
- 2 tbs butter, melted
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly grease a 3 quart baking dish.
- Cook the pasta to al dente per package directions. Drain then set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook garlic for about 1 minute. Whisk in flour and cook another minute. Whisk in milk, then let cook and thicken another 5 minutes. Whisk regularly to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom.
- Add cayenne, mustard, tomatoes, ham, Parmesan, and all but 1/2 cup of the cheddar then stir until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat, then stir cooked pasta into the sauce.
- In a separate bowl, stir together melted butter and breadcrumbs. Transfer the pasta to the prepared baking dish, top with the breadcrumb mix, remaining cheese, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm, topped with extra Parmesan, and enjoy!
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.