Spicy Chicken Ginger Soup
Warm up with a bowl of this spicy chicken ginger soup and defeat those under the weather blues.
- 1 cooked rotisserie chicken (This works great with leftovers!)
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 med onion, chopped (Check out our handy how-to video)
- 2 med carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inch ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2/3 cup pasta (We used corallini)
- Remove chicken meat from rotisserie chicken carcass and reserve both. Place carcass and peppercorns in a large stock pan and cover with water. Add any extra vegetable bits you'd like, whether it's extra ginger, onion, carrot, garlic, or anything else you've got handy. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Keep on a simmer for an hour than strain out and discard the solids. Set the broth aside.
- In a large stock pot, warm 2 tbs olive oil over medium heat. Sautée onion and carrots about 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, and cayenne and cook for 1 minute, then add broth, should be about 6 cups worth (depending on the size of the stock pot).
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add pasta, spinach, and reserved chicken meat. Cook until pasta is al dente, about 5-7 minutes.
Don't have the time to make the broth? Skip the first step and use store bought broth for the soup.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.