Southern Fried Hush Puppies
These tender morsels come out light and fluffy, the perfect hush puppies to serve alongside your favorite seafood after a fish fry.
- 1 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Oil, for frying
- Add enough oil to a thick stock pot or Dutch oven to fill to 2-3 inches high. Heat to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine corn meal, flour, salt, and baking soda, stirring to evenly distribute. Stir in the mixed onion.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk eggs and buttermilk together.
- Drop the wet mix into the dry mix, and stir until just combined. Over-mixing will make the puppies tougher.
- Drop heaping teaspoon-sized balls of batter into the oil, frying until golden brown. They should flip over on their own when the bottom is cooked, but if they don't, a light nudge should do the trick. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. To avoid crowding, it may be best to do this step in smaller batches.
Like 'em sweet? Add 1/4 cup sugar to the dry ingredients.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.