Southern Butter Cake
This luscious and buttery Southern Butter Cake is a Kentucky favorite. Served with a vanilla cake glaze and baked in a loaf pan.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
For The Glaze
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For The Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease two loaf pans. In a large bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, scraping after each addition. Add the flour mixture to the mixture and the buttermilk and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Pour the batter between the two loaf pans and bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 45-55 minutes.
For The Glaze
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan combine butter, sugar, water, and vanilla extract and heat over medium just until sugar is dissolved.
- Poke holes in the cake while still hot and pour the glaze on top. Let cake cool completely before removing from pans.
Make sure to use unsalted butter in the recipe. And please do not use margarine, it won't be the same! You can make this cake in a bundt pan as well.
Perfect PairingServe this Southern favorite with a cup of Hazelnut Coffee [embed_recipe id='16866']
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.