Sour Cherry Fruit Kolache
Have you ever had a kolache before? These Sour Cherry Fruit Kolache are a Czechoslovakian yeast-based pastry filled with poppy seeds and cherries.
For The Pastry
- 1 package active-dry yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- cups poppy seed filling
For The Topping
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup Sour Cherry Pie Filling
For the Pastry
- In a small bowl combine the yeast, water, and 2 Tbsp of sugar. Let stand 10 minutes for yeast to proof. Meanwhile in a large bowl combine the remaining sugar, butter, milk, egg yolks, flour, and salt. Add the yeast mixture and mix until a stiff dough forms.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 7-8 minutes. Grease a large bowl and add dough, covering with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise until doubled, about an hour.
- Punch dough down and cover, rising for an additional 30 minutes. Take dough from bowl and roll out on a floured surface to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a round cookie cutter or a large drinking glass. Spray baking sheets with cooking spray and place dough rounds on sheets. Let rise once again, about 45 minutes or until doubled. Meanwhile preheat your oven to 350ºF.
Make The Topping
- In a small bowl combine sugar, flour, and butter. Mix together until mixture clumps together like crumbs.
- Using your thumb, press an indentation in the middle of the dough. Add poppyseed filling and top with a spoonful of sour cherry. Top with topping mixture. Bake until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Cool completely before serving.
You may use a dough hook attached to your electric mixer to knead the dough instead of doing it by hand. Substitute more of the cherry pie filling if you do not like poppy seeds.
Perfect PairingThis Czech pastry is a Texas savory favorite as well. [embed_recipe id='9282']
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.