Slow Cooker Refried Beans
Focus on dinner's main event while letting the slow cooker impart layers of flavor and tenderness to these low-fat refried beans.
- 1 lb dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 3 strips bacon (Optional)
- 1 onion, finely diced or shredded
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano (Or 1 sprig fresh)
- 3 tbs butter (Optional)
- water (About 7 to 9 cups, but depends on the size and shape of your slow cooker)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the beans, bacon, onion, jalapeño, garlic, cumin, cayenne, oregano, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Pour in enough water to cover the beans, and then add another cup or two. Err on the side of having a extra since it's easier to take out water than to revive burnt beans.
- Cover and cook on high for 8 to 10 hours, until beans are very tender. If water evaporates, add more. If it seems like there's still a lot of water once the beans are done, remove to a bowl.
- Mash the beans with a potato masher, or blend with an immersion blender. If needed, add some extra liquid to help with the creaminess. If desired, add the butter too.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve, topped with fresh chopped peppers, melty cheese, or cilantro.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.