Slow Cooker Apple Cider
Not only is this slow cooker apple cider recipe easy and delicious, it'll also make your house smell heavenly.
- 9 apples (Honeycrisp and Gala are really good, but feel free to use a blend of their favorites!)
- 1 orange
- 1 3 inch long ginger
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 10 cups water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (Or honey, or the sweeter of your choice)
- Thoroughly wash apples and oranges, then cut into quarters. Don't worry about deseeding or destemming. Slice the ginger into think strips.
- Add apples, oranges, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. Pour in enough water to completely cover them, but leave a little space at the top so that the pot won't boil over.
- Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours, or high 2-3 hours.
- Mash the apples and oranges using a potato masher, or the tool of your choice. Cover and let cook 1 hour more.
- Strain out the solids. Press them through a mesh strainer to get out leftover juice, if you'd like.
- Stir in the sugar and serve hot.
If you don't plan on serving it right away, transfer the sweetened cider to a clean pitcher, cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Reheat before serving.