Slow Cooker Apple Butter
Just like spreadable apple pie, this slow cooked apple butter is an easy-to-make treat treat that's great to have or gift year round.
- 6 lbs apples (Gala, Granny Smith, or Honeycrisp are great for this)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 5 tsp whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (Optional but tasty!)
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbs lemon juice (One juicy lemon's worth)
- Peel, core, and chop the apples into small 1/2 inch chunks.
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker and stir to thoroughly mix.
- Cover and cook on high until apples are soft, about for 4-5 hours (low for 8 - 10 hours). Remove solid spices like cloves, cinnamon sticks, and vanilla beans. Mash or puree the apples. Cover and cook another 2-4 hours until mix has thickened. If it's too runny, leave the lid off.
- Let cool entirely before placing in the refrigerator. It will keep in the fridge for a few weeks, but will last longer if properly canned.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.