Sausage Coated Scotch Eggs
Hardboiled eggs wrapped in seasoned sausage and breadcrumbs are the epitome of English gastropub food. Thankfully you don't have to cross the pond for them.
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs flour
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 2/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- Mix together sausage and Worcestershire sauce. In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, pepper, sage, thyme, and mustard. Mix this into the sausage.
- Divide the sausage into 4 equal parts. Mold the sausage around the hard boiled eggs.
- Dip the sausage coated egg in the beaten egg, then into the breadcrumbs, ensuring a full coating.
- Frying instructions: Heat the fryer with about 2 inches of oil to 350 F to 365 F, then gently lower the eggs into the oil. Cook until sausage is done and they are a deep, golden brown, about 5 minutes total. You may need to flip them.
- Baking instructions: Chill eggs for 1 hour before baking. Bake on a cookie sheet in an oven preheated to 400F for 30 minutes, or until the sausage is done and the eggs are a deep, golden brown.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.