The scares of salmonella is continually making the rounds this year and our beloved Ritz Crackers is the latest product under a voluntary recall due to a potential presence. Mondelez Global announced today that a voluntary recall is under effect in the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands regarding certain Ritz Cracker Sandwiches and Ritz Bits products.
The following products contain whey powder (remember they recalled Swiss Rolls last week because of whey powder?) which the supplier has since recalled.
- RITZ BITS CHEESE BIG BAG 3 OZ
- RITZ BITS CHEESE 1 OZ
- RITZ BITS CHEESE 12 PACK CARTON
- RITZ BITS CHEESE 30 PACK CARTON
- RITZ BITS CHEESE 1.5 OZ
- RITZ BITZ CHEESE 3 OZ GO PACKS
- 10.8OZ RITZ CHEESE CRACKER SANDWICHES
- 1.35 OZ RITZ CHEESE CRACKER SANDWICHES
- 10.8 OZ RITZ BACON CRACKER SANDWICHES WITH CHEESE
- 1.35 OZ RITZ BACON CRACKER SANDWICHES WITH CHEESE
- 10.8 OZ RITZ WHOLE WHEAT CRACKER SANDWICHES WITH WHITE CHEDDAR CHEESE
- 1.35 OZ RITZ WHOLE WHEAT CRACKER SANDWICHES WITH WHITE CHEDDAR CHEESE
- 10.8 OZ RITZ EVERYTHING CRACKER SANDWICHES WITH CREAM CHEESE
- 1.35 OZ RITZ EVERYTHING CRACKER SANDWICHES WITH CREAM CHEESE
- MIXED COOKIE CRACKER VARIETY 20 PACK
- MIXED COOKIE CRACKER VARIETY 40 PACK
If you are in possession of any of these products return them to the store or discard them. Consumers can contact the company at 1-844-366 -1171, 24 hours a day to get more information about the recall, and Consumer Relations specialists are available Monday-Friday, 9am to 6pm EST.
According to the CDC, salmonella causes about 1.2 million illnesses, 23,000 hospitalizations, and 450 deaths in the United States every single year. When infected, most people develop diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection. This gap in time makes it hard to pinpoint exactly what caused the salmonella and track down the outbreak.
The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days and most people recover without treatment. Let's just say that the toilet is the person's best friend while the infection makes its way through the body. People with weak immune systems, young children, and elderly people are at a higher risk for hospitalization and possibly death.
Seek medical help if you believe you have come in contact with salmonella.
Watch: What are Bacon Bits?
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.