Orange and Olive Oil Cake
Conjure summer days and have an excuse to turn the oven on for this super moist and fluffy but not to sweet olive oil and orange cake.
- 3 navel oranges (Or enough for 2 tbs zest and 1/4 cup fresh juice)
- 1 1/2 cup flour, all purpose
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (Stick with something mild or fruity)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Confectioners' sugar (To top)
- Sliced almonds (To top)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a 9 inch round by greasing and / or lining with parchment paper.
- Zest two oranges (should make 2 tbs zest) and juice 2 or 3 of them (for 1/4 cup juice).
- In a bowl, whisk to combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom.
- In a tall bowl or a stand mixer's mixing bowl, combine sugar, zest, and eggs. Beat on high until mixture is pale and has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Lower speed to medium then drizzle in olive oil, almond extract, and orange juice then mix until smooth.
- Slowly begin adding the flour mix into the sugar mix, adding it about 1/3 to 1/2 at a time. Lowering speed to slow, if necessary. Mix until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and bake until it passes the toothpick test, about 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack at least 15 minutes, then turn cake out onto wire rack.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar and top with sliced almonds.
Who knew olive oil could make such a light and fabulous dessert! Try it with a side of gelato or a warm cup of coffee.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.