Sometimes, the simplest cookies are the best cookies. If you're a fan of either butterscotch or oatmeal, you're probably also a fan of oatmeal scotchies. These delicious, chewy cookies are a favorite cookie for many, and they're really not that difficult to throw together.
Below, we've put together a tutorial for this oatmeal cookie recipe with butterscotch morsels that will make the most delectable oatmeal scotchies your baking sheet has ever seen.
How to Make Oatmeal Scotchies
First, the ingredients. You'll need all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, butter or margarine (unsalted butter, if you'd prefer), granulated sugar, brown sugar or dark brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, either quick oats or old-fashioned oats, and butterscotch chips.
As for supplies, you'll need a small bowl, a large mixing bowl, ungreased baking sheets or a cookie sheet, and a rounded tablespoon, cookie scoop, or other device to plop the delicious oatmeal butterscotch cookie dough balls onto when it's time to bake your chewy oatmeal scotchies. You should also have a cooling rack for when the cookies are done, and, of course, an oven.
Preheat your oven to 375° F. Then, combine some of the dry ingredients — flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon — in that small bowl you grabbed. After that, you're going to beat the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract in the large bowl. Gradually beat in the flour mixture, or do all of that mixing in a stand mixer instead.
Finally, you of course need to stir in your oats and morsels! After that's all set, go ahead and drop the rounded cookies-to-be onto your baking sheets.
How long you bake your oatmeal scotchies depends on how chewy or crispy you want them to be. You'll bake for 7 to 8 minutes for chewier cookies or 9 to 10 minutes for crisp cookies. When they're done, set your oatmeal scotchies on baking sheets for 2 minutes to cool, then place them on wire racks to cool completely until they're room temperature.
And that's it! You should now have some old-fashioned oatmeal scotchies. Enjoy!
Munch on These Oatmeal Scotchies if You're Craving Butterscotch
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter or margarine softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
- 1 2/3 cups butterscotch chips
- Preheat your oven to 375° F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in small bowl.
- Beat the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract in the large bowl. Gradually beat in the flour mixture. Stir in your oats and morsels.
- Drop the rounded cookie dough onto your baking sheets. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes for chewier cookies or 9 to 10 minutes for crisp cookies.
- Set your oatmeal scotchies on baking sheets for 2 minutes to cool. Place cookies on wire racks to cool completely until they're room temperature.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.