Minted Pea Quinoa Salad
Fresh peas, mint, and lemon practically scream spring in this delightful salad. Great warm or cold, have it as a dinner side, or make it ahead for lunch.
- 1 1/2 cup shelled peas (English peas are wonderful when in season)
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (More to taste)
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add peas to an unheated pan with a lid. Sprinkle the mint leaves on top. In a separate pan, boil water. Pour just enough boiling water over the peas to cover them. Bring the mint and peas to a boil, cover with the lid, and cook for 3 minutes, or according to how al dente you'd like them.
- Strain the peas and mint, then transfer to a small bowl. Pour the olive oil over the peas, then set aside while preparing everything else.
- Prepare the quinoa according to package directions, but use 1/4 cup lemon juice as part of the cooking liquid. Remove the cooked quinoa from the heat and let sit 5 minutes before fluffing.
- Transfer the fluffed quinoa to a mixing bowl to let cool completely. Taste it to check how lemony it is. If it needs some more lemon punch, squeeze a lemon or two into the peas and stir.
- Pour the peas and oil into the quinoa, tossing to evenly mix. If desired, garnish with more mint leaves, lemon wedges, and add salt and pepper, if desired.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.