Lemony Brown Lentil and Vegetable Soup
Make this bright, veggie heavy soup next time you're in need of a warm bowl of comfort.
- 1 lb brown lentils, picked and rinsed (About 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (Check out our handy how-to video)
- 3 carrot, copped
- 3 ribs celery
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (Or 1 1/2 tsp fresh)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 quarts broth
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Warm 3 tbs oil or butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Once hot, add onion, carrot, celery, and a pinch of salt, then cook until onion is translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, thyme, curry powder, and broth. Stir to combine and raise the heat to high to bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 35-40 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and serve, topped with fresh herbs or greens.
Hankering for a little something extra? Try cutting up 3 strips of bacon and cooking them in the pot first. Use some of their drippings to cook the veggies. Then, either add the bacon back into the soup, or save to sprinkle on top.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.