An incredible line-up of musicians are breathing new life into Johnny Cash's poetry, letters and unused lyrics by taking his written words and transforming them into full-fledged songs. Alison Krauss and Union Station, Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson, Kacey Musgraves, John Mellencamp and the late Chris Cornell are all featured on the new album called Johnny Cash: Forever Words to be released on Friday, April 6.
According to a press release, the album will serve as a companion to the book Forever Words: The Unknown Poems, a huge culmination of writings from Cash that Johnny and June's son, John Carter Cash, acquired after their deaths. John Carter Cash and Steve Berkowitz produced the new album with a curated line-up of musicians who recorded their tracks at The Cash Cabin Studio in Hendersonville, Tenn.
The collaborative album will be released on digital formats, CD and vinyl. Pre-orders are available here.
Johnny Cash: Forever Words Track Listing:
1. "Forever/I Still Miss Someone" - Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
2. "To June This Morning" - Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves
3. "Gold All Over the Ground" - Brad Paisley
4. "You Never Knew My Mind" - Chris Cornell
5. "The Captain's Daughter" - Alison Krauss and Union Station
6. "Jellico Coal Man" - T. Bone Burnett
7. "The Walking Wounded" - Rosanne Cash
8. "Them Double Blues" - John Mellencamp
9. "Body on Body" - Jewel
10. "I'll Still Love You" - Elvis Costello
11. "June's Sundown" - Carlene Carter
12. "He Bore It All" - Daily and Vincent
13. "Chinky Pin Hill" - I'm With Her
14. "Goin', Goin', Gone" - Robert Glasper featuring Ro James, and Anu Sun
15. "What Would I Dreamer Do?" - The Jayhawks
16. "Spirit Rider" - Jamey Johnson