"I'd even like to do a reboot of the Reba TV show," she said. "That would be a lot of fun because we had so many stories we were wanting to tell when they canceled us, so we were shocked."
McEntire said the cast and crew were bewildered by the cancellation.
"We had no idea why they canceled us," the country legend said. "We were a huge success, so it was a head-scratcher for us. So to come back now... that amount of time, that time spread, we'd have a lot of stories to tell."
Earlier this year, McEntire joined friend and Reba castmember Melissa Peterman for a quarantine sketch featuring McEntire's character "Reba" and Peterman's Barbra Jean.
A 2018 post by Reba McEntire seemed to tease that her eponymous sitcom might get a second life. McEntire posted a photo of herself with co-stars Christopher Rich and Melissa Peterman. The photo alone could just mean that McEntire met with old colleagues for a social function. However, the caption "Now all we need is the rest of the Reba cast," followed by the hastag "reboot," got fans' hopes up.
Reba aired on the CW network for six seasons between 2001 and 2007. The show offered a platform for McEntire's comedic chops. Better yet, it exposed theme song "I'm a Survivor" to a broader audience. The show remains in multiple cable networks' syndication rotations.
Read More: Rare Video Shows Reba McEntire Showing off Her Barrel Racing Skills
In a 2019 Q&A with Billboard, McEntire again said she would be onboard for a Reba reboot.
At a time when everything from cult favorites like Twin Peaks to former prime time hits like Roseanne gets second runs, a Reba comeback wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Besides, McEntire's career is as relevant as it was in 2001. Streaming services seemingly need a constant flow of fresh original mini-series, so a return wouldn't necessitate a lengthy seventh season.
This post was originally published in 2018. It was updated on Sept. 4, 2020 to include McEntire's most recent comments regarding the series.