Homemade Pretzel Dogs
Homemade Pretzel Dogs, get your Homemade Pretzel Dogs! These ballpark favorites are fun to make and only require a few simple ingredients.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 8 hot dogs
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- coarse sea salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the warm water (about 110ºF), sugar and yeast. Let sit for 10 minutes to foam.
- To the bowl add the salt, flour and melted butter. Combine with the paddle then switch to the dough hook when incorporated. Switch to medium and knead until dough is smooth, about 5 minutes. Add more flour if necessary.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit in a warm place until dough has doubled, about one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Meanwhile add the 10 cups of water and baking soda to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Punch down the dough and divide into eight equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope that's about 20 inches long. Start at one end and wrap the dough around the hot dog, pinching the end so the hot dog is sealed. You can also leave the ends of the hot dog visible as well. Repeat with remaining hot dogs and dough.
- Place one or two pretzel dogs into the boiling water and boil for 30 seconds, making sure to flip halfway through. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on the prepared baking pan. Repeat with remaining pretzels.
- Brush each of the pretzels with melted butter and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake until dough is fully cooked and golden brown, about 13 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool 5 minutes before serving.
If you have a bit of extra dough you can turn them into real pretzels. Serve with mustard and ketchup.
Perfect PairingThese Pretzel Dogs deserve to be washed down with a Dirty Dr Pepper. [embed_recipe id='22702']
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.