For a cool autumn weeknight, you need a warm and hearty dinner. But you also need it to be quick and easy because it's a weeknight. If you like beef stroganoff, you need to try this version that uses wild game instead. This venison stroganoff recipe checks all the boxes for a filling and easy dinner, not to mention being a tasty dish your whole family will love. It doesn't take much prep time and all you need to round out your meal is a salad and some warm, crusty bread.
If you've never cooked game meat before, it's not that different than regular beef. Venison does have less fat, so a creamy sauce like you make for stroganoff works well. It's also a nutrient-dense meat, but it does have high levels of cholesterol (higher than beef), so if you're keeping an eye on that, try venison in moderation.
Start by cutting venison steaks into cubes. Then in a pie plate, mix together flour, salt, and black pepper. Dredge the venison cubes in the seasoned flour to coat and place on a plate until all the meat has been dredged. In a large skillet (cast iron if you've got it) or dutch oven, sauté sliced mushrooms and onion in butter. Once the onion is soft, add the venison and cook until the meat is no longer pink. Add in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and simmer until the sauce is reduced, which should take you about 10 minutes.
Take the skillet off of the heat and stir in the sour cream. Cook the egg noodles while the meat and creamy sauce are simmering, and then serve the meat mixture on top of egg noodles. Call your family to the table for a meal of comfort food and enjoy this venison stroganoff!
Watch: Venison Queso
Hearty Venison Stroganoff
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb venison cut into cubes
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 cups cooked egg noodles
- In pie plate mix together flour, salt, and black pepper. Dredge venison in flour to coat. Place on a plate until ready to use.
- In large skillet sauté sliced mushrooms and onion in butter. Once the onion is soft, add venison and cook until no longer pink. Add in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and simmer until sauce is reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Take the skillet off the heat and stir in sour cream. Serve the meat mixture on cooked egg noodles.
Perfect PairingFinish off your meal with a sweet treat! These ROLO pecan truffles are delish! [embed_recipe id='7928']
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.