Hamburger Macaroni and Beer Cheese
Meet your new dinnertime staple: This creamy hamburger macaroni and cheese gets depth from the beer and spices but comes together in under thirty minutes.
- 1 1/4 cup uncooked macaroni
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup beer (We like an Amber or Brown Ale for this. IPAs and other strong beers can be overpowering.)
- 6 oz cheddar, freshly grated (The pre-grated stuff has anti-caking agents that will prevent it from melting nicely)
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Set the macaroni on to boil, cooking just to al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat butter over medium, then add the ground beef and shallot. Cook the beef through, about 5 minutes, then sprinkle on the flour, mustard, nutmeg, and cayenne. Stir it in to lightly toast and evenly distribute.
- Pour in the beer and bring to a simmer. Stir while continuing to cook, to let thicken. This will take about three minutes.
- Stir in the milk and let it warm through, almost to the point of scalding, then remove from heat. Stir in the cheese.
- Sprinkle on some parsley, maybe a hint of freshly cracked black pepper too, then pour a drink, and enjoy!
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.