Gary LeVox of Rascal Flatts' solo flight as a Christian artist, the five-track EP One on One, teams him with multiple collaborators: MercyMe, Jonathan McReynolds, BRELAND and the Nashville star's daughter, Brittany LeVox.
Though it's not streaming yet (as of May 4), the daddy-daughter duet raises expectations. There's something special about family members singing gospel-inspired music together, and if you've heard 20-year-old Brittany's material as a singer-songwriter, you know she can hold her own as a vocalist with someone as gifted as her dad.
"I had told Brittany a bunch of times, 'I'm gonna put you on a record,'" Gary told Country Now. "There's just no better feeling than to watch your daughter do something that she loves and you feel like you've had a little hand in it. You know, that what I've done my whole life has inspired her to wanna do the same thing. It's just -- it's hard for me not to cry through the whole thing."
Gary's finding through conversations with artists like Zach Williams and interactions with Rascal Flatts fans that there's not much of a divide between the Christian and country audiences.
"It's definitely a different world, the Christian world, but I think it's the same thing that we've always dealt with [in country music]: I think it all starts with a great song, and I think you gotta have that before anything else," Gary told Country Now.
The EP arrives May 21 via Big Machine Records. It's the first solo project for LeVox after over 20 years with bandmates Jay DeMarcus and Joe Don Rooney.
One on One Track List
1. "A Little Love (featuring MercyMe)" (Bart Millard, Jordan Mohilowski, Ethan Hulse, Jess Cates)
2. "Never Forget (featuring Jonathan McReynolds)" (Jonathan McReynolds)
3. "While I Wait (featuring Brittany LeVox)" (Ethan Hulse, Colby Wedgeworth, Tauren Wells)
4. "All I See (featuring BRELAND)" (Gary LeVox, Daniel Breland, Matthew McVaney)
5. "The Distance" (Gary LeVox, Josh Hoge, Matthew McVaney)