NBC's Elvis All-Star Tribute aired on Sunday, Feb. 17, 2019, and it featured performances from Keith Urban, Dierks Bentley, Pistol Annies and more. The concert, which celebrated Elvis Presley's 1968 comeback special, also featured a cross-genre performance medley of the King of Rock 'n' Roll's 1968 hit "If I Can Dream."
The clip opens with footage of Presley performing the song on the original concert special. Carrie Underwood, Shawn Mendes, Post Malone, Darius Rucker and Blake Shelton all take turns singing the classic song.
"If I Can Dream" was written by Walter Earl Brown and includes direct quotes from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
The program also featured Shelton covering "Suspicious Minds," Keith Urban tackling "Burning Love," the Pistol Annies singing "Love Me," Dierks Bentley performing "Little Sister" and more. Shelton served as host of the special.
Read More: 8 Things You Didn't Know About Graceland
An accompanying album, The Best of the '68 Comeback Special, was released on Feb. 15, 2020 on RCA/Legacy Recordings.
The original 1968 tv special, then billed simply as Elvis, was a significant return to the spotlight for The King of Rock 'n' Roll, who had spent the previous several years making movies in Hollywood. The concert proved that Presley was still a music icon with the ability to captivate audiences worldwide.
This story originally ran on Feb. 18, 2019.
Elvis All-Star Tribute Setlist
- "Trouble"/"Guitar Man" - Blake Shelton
- "Hound Dog" - Shawn Mendes
- "Burning Love" - Keith Urban
- "Baby, What You Want Me to Do" - Keith Urban & Post Malone
- "Jailhouse Rock" - John Fogerty
- "Can't Help Falling in Love" - Ed Sheeran
- "Always on My Mind" - Kelsea Ballerini
- "Heartbreak Hotel" - Jennifer Lopez
- "One Night" - Darius Rucker
- "Suspicious Minds" - Blake Shelton
- "Love Me Tender" - Alessia Cara
- "Memories" - Mac Davis
- "A Little Less Conversation" - John Legend
- "Are You Lonesome Tonight" - Little Big Town
- "Blue Suede Shoes" - Adam Lambert
- "Love Me" - Pistol Annies
- Hits Medley ("That's All Right," "Don't Be Cruel," "Blue Suede Shoes") - Mac Davis, Post Malone, Little Big Town, Darius Rucker & Blake Shelton
- Gospel Medley ("How Great Thou Art," "He Touched Me," "You'll Never Walk Alone" - Carrie Underwood & Yolanda Adams
- "Little Sister" - Dierks Bentley
- "It's Now or Never" - Josh Groban
- "If I Can Dream" - Elvis Presley, Carrie Underwood, Shawn Mendes, Post Malone, Darius Rucker, Blake Shelton
"If I Can Dream" Lyrics
[Verse 1: Elvis Presley]
There must be lights burning brighter somewhere
Got to be birds flying higher in a sky more blue
If I can dream of a better land
Where all my brothers walk hand in hand
Tell me why?
Oh why, oh why can't my dream come true?
[Verse 2: Carrie Underwood & Shawn Mendes]
There must be peace and understanding sometime
Strong winds of promise that will blow away
The doubt and fear
If I can dream of a warmer sun
Where hope keeps shining on everyone
Tell me why, oh why, oh why won't that sun appear?
[Verse 3: Post Malone & Darius Rucker]
We're lost in a cloud with too much rain
We're trapped in a world that's troubled with pain (Oh yeah)
As long as a man has the strength to dream
He can redeem his soul and fly
[Verse 4: Elvis Presley & Blake Shelton]
Deep in my heart there's a tremblin' question
Still I am sure that the answer
Answer's gonna come somehow
Out there in the dark
There's a beckoning candle, yeah
And while I can think, while I can talk
While I can stand, while I can walk
While I can dream
Oh, please let my dream come true
Let it come true right now
[Outro: Elvis Presley]
Thank you, good night