If you're a fan of Keebler Danish Wedding Cookies (and who isn't, really), then you need this copycat recipe. It's exactly like the little cookies you can buy at the grocery store, but better because you can have them anytime you like, plus they don't have the preservatives you find in store-bought cookies. Butter cookies dusted in powdered sugar like these are popular in a number of cultures; you may have seen these in other cookbooks named as Mexican Wedding Cakes, Russian Teacakes or German Snowballs. Whatever you call them, though, these delightful bites are sure to be one of your favorite cookies.
They're incredibly easy and fast to make, too. You only need six ingredients: 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, ground cinnamon, 1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cup pecans, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. The cookies are shortbread-like, buttery, sweet and a little crumbly.
Start by preheating your over to 400ºF, then grease a cookie sheet. In a large bowl combine the flour and cinnamon; in another large bowl mix together the softened butter, chopped pecans, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat the ingredients until blended. The batter will be very stiff.
Using your hands, shape dough into 1-inch balls and place them on the cookie sheet. Bake until light brown, about 10-12 minutes. Keep a close eye on the cookies, because they will burn easily. Once you take them out of the oven, let them cool slightly then roll cookies in powdered sugar. Let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack before serving. Traditionally, you'd serve these at holiday parties or weddings, as the Danish Wedding Cookies name suggests, but they're good any time you want a delicious little treat. Keep a napkin close by, though, because you will end up wearing a dusting of the powdered sugar from every cookie bite. Personally, we think that's half the fun!
Danish Wedding Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and grease a cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl combine the flour and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another large bowl add the butter, pecans, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract, and beat until blended. Batter will be very stiff.
- Using your hands, roll 1-inch balls and place on the cookie sheet. Bake until light brown, about 10-12 minutes. Cool slightly then roll cookies in the powdered sugar. Cool completely before serving.
Perfect PairingServe these cookies with a big pitcher of Sangria. [embed_recipe id='16921']
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.