Cowboy caviar is a cold dip welcome at any party. It's layered flavors and colorful ingredients make it a healthy addition to any appetizer table.
- 1 can diced tomatoes, about 14 oz (Can sub for 3-4 Roma tomatoes)
- 1 can black beans, about 15 oz
- 1 can black eyed peas, about 15 oz
- 1 can sweet corn, about 15 oz
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (Or can use 1/2 of two different colors)
- 1-2 jalapeños, diced (Optional)
- 1-2 avocados, diced (Optional)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped (Optional)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup vinegar or lime juice
- 2 tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Drain the liquid from everything canned, and rinse the beans for good measure. Combine all the caviar ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss to evenly combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk to emulsify.
- Pour dressing over caviar and toss to coat.
- Let rest at least 20 minutes before serving, but can be made a day ahead and refrigerated.
Versions of this recipe pop up all over the country. To keep it authentically Midwestern, skip the jalapeño and avocado, and add use super sweet corn.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.