Country hitmaker Collin Raye is set to release first new album of all-new material in more than 10 years with his forthcoming 14-track record SCARS (out November 20), featuring collaborations with Miranda Lambert, Vince Gill and The Black Keys' Dan Auerbach.
Today, Wide Open Country is exclusively premiering "I've Got a Lot to Drink About," a slow-burning tune about a heartbroken man reckoning with the end of a relationship.
"She's gone, long gone/ I don't know if she'll be back or not/ She made it clear the whiskey and the beer, all-nighters with the boys gotta stop," Raye sings. "But here I am/ Down at the bar wondering if I can straighten me out/ So set 'em up again, friend/ I've got a lot to drink about."
Raye, who rose to fame with country hits such as "Love, Me," "My Kind of Girl" and "In This Life," says he originally planned to pitch the song to another artist.
"My girlfriend and musical partner, Shaunna Larkin, had the title 'I've Got a Lot to Drink About' and the original idea for the song," Raye tells Wide Open Country. "When we began writing it, my intention was to create something that could be recorded by any number of current male artists aimed at country radio then the lyric took a nice turn and started me thinking, 'wow, this is getting cooler by the minute maybe this is something I'll cut myself.' Glad that I did. I think it's a nice fit for this album, and again, yet another song-style difference to separate it from every other song on the record, which was what I was going for on every song we recorded."
Listen to "I've Got a Lot to Drink About" below.
Read More: The 15 Best Collin Raye Songs, Ranked
Vince Gill joins Raye on "Rodeo Girl," while Miranda Lambert lends vocals to the title track. Dan Auerbach backs Raye on electric guitar throughout the album.
"I sincerely hope that the people who have embraced my music the last 29 years will embrace SCARS and find enjoyment and emotional inspiration from this album," Raye said in a press release. "Having Miranda and Vince sing with me on this record gives it an extra special element of 'coolness.' I'm excited for the release!"
'SCARS' Track List:
1. Ghost Story (Scotty Wray)
2. Scars (w/ Miranda Lambert) (Scotty Wray, Tony Ramey)
3. Bad Storm Coming Tonight (Pat McLaughlin, Joe Allen, Collin Raye)
4. Dancing Alone in the Street (Collin Raye)
5. Never Going Back There Again (Collin Raye, Britanny Raye, Michael Curtis, Troy Powers)
6. Loved By An Angel (Pat McLaughlin, David Ferguson, Collin Raye)
7. Rodeo Girl (w/ Vince Gill) (Pat McLaughlin, David Ferguson, Collin Raye)
8. Chasing Renee (Collin Raye, Jacob Wray)
9. I've Got A Lot to Drink About (Collin Raye, Shaunna Larkin)
10. Ever Making Up Time (Collin Raye, Gene Lasage)
11. Let It Go Away (Joe Allen, Collin Raye, David Ferguson)
12. Rock 'n' Roll Bone (Collin Raye)
13. Young As We're Ever Gonna Be (Scotty Wray, Collin Raye)
14. Mama Sure Could Sing (Scotty Wray, Collin Raye)