Collard Greens with Bacon
Perfect recipe for a nutrient-dense side, this Southern staple is certain to please.
- 1/2 lb bacon, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp pepper flakes
- 2 tbs vinegar
- 1 pinch brown sugar
- 2 lbs collard greens, stems removed and leaves chopped coarse
- 1 cup broth
- Cook bacon until crisp, then transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Reserve about 3 tbs bacon fat in the pan, discard the rest.
- Cook onion over medium-low until softened.
- Stir in garlic, pepper flakes, the pinch of sugar, and vinegar.
- Add about half the collard greens and stir until wilted slightly. Add bacon, broth, and remaining collard greens. Stir until evenly combined.
- Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes. Stir and test the greens. Depending on the age of the leaves, they may need to cook longer to reach desired tenderness, up to 2 hours.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.