Chocolate Lava Cake
Perfect for dinner parties or that date you're really hoping to impress, these molten chocolate cakes are guaranteed to win you some blissful oohs and aahs.
- 4 tbs butter (Plus more for greasing the ramekins)
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolk
- 2 tbs flour
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- In one bowl, combine the butter and chocolate. Melt the mixture either in the microwave or on a double boiler.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, yolks, and sugar. Whisk until the color has lightened and the mixture is thick.
- Add the egg mixture to the melted chocolate, along with the flour. Beat until combined.
- Butter the ramekins, then sprinkle in cocoa powder, tapping out any extra.
- Divide the batter equally among the molds. Place on a single baking sheet, and bake until the cakes have puffed a bit, but are only barely set, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest on the tray for 1 minute. Hold a plate over the top of the ramekin, then turn the whole shebang over to carefully remove the cake from the ramekin.
- Serve warm with fruit and / or ice cream.
You can make these desserts up to three hours ahead of time. After dividing among the ramekins, store in the fridge. But be sure to bring back to room temperature for baking, otherwise the timing will be off. Want something to do with those extra egg whites? Make a small batch of meringues!
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.