There are weirder treats out there, but we honestly can't think of any compared to chocolate-covered pickles. To be fair, both chocolate and pickles are both delicious, so why not try them together? They might make for a great appetizer, or maybe as a weird combo with ice cream for someone having a serious pregnancy craving.
Chocolate pickles are also very customizable — they can be made with dill pickles, pickle chips, butter pickles, fried pickles, you name it! You can use milk chocolate or dark chocolate depending on what you prefer. They are a great salty snack and sweet treat all at once, and there are not a lot of dishes that that is true about. If you stick with regular old pickles and melted chocolate or chocolate chips that definitely don't have wheat in them, they're also gluten-free!
How to Make Chocolate Covered Pickles
So, how do you make DIY chocolate-covered pickles? They're actually very easy and totally delish. You only need whatever jarred pickle chips you prefer, sugar, coconut oil, chocolate or chocolate chips to melt, and a little salt or flaky sea salt. For this recipe, we're also going to add sprinkles, because why not?
First, you need to take the pickle chips out of the jar and toss them in a large bowl with your sugar. 2 cups of pickle chips and 1.5 tablespoons of sugar should do, but you can adjust as needed. Let them soak for about 15 minutes, then set out a paper towel, lay the chips on it, and allow them to dry.
While the chips are soaking and drying, put about a cup to a cup and a half of chocolate chips or broken up chocolate pieces into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave them for about 20 seconds, then stir. Repeat this process until the chocolate is thoroughly melted.
Next, mix about a teaspoon of coconut oil into the melted chocolate. Once mixed, dip each pickle into the mixture, either halfway or fully, then set it on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with your chosen salt and sprinkles.
Chocolate Covered Pickles? Yep, They're a Thing!
- 2 cups pickle chips
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 to 1.5 cups chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- salt or sea salt - to taste
- pinch of sprinkles
- Take the pickle chips out of the jar and toss them in a bowl with sugar.
- Let them soak for about 15 minutes, then set out a paper towel, lay the chips on it, and allow to dry.
- While chips are soaking and drying, put a cup to a cup and a half of chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave them for about 20 seconds, then stir. Repeat this process until the chocolate is thoroughly melted.
- Mix about a teaspoon of coconut oil into melted chocolate.
- Dip each pickle into the mixture, either halfway or fully, then set on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and sprinkles.
- Put the sheet of pickles into the fridge for about 10 to 15 minutes until the chocolate has hardened.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.