Chinese Scallion Pancakes
These Chinese Scallion Pancakes are so fun to make, and are a fun addition to any Chinese meal.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
For The Paste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 green onions, chopped finely
- vegetable oil
- Make the dough by adding the flour to a medium bowl. Pour in the boiling water slowly and stir with a wooden spoon until large flakes of dough have formed. Add in the cold water, a little bit at a time, until there is no dry flour at the bottom of the bowl. Using your hands, press the dough into a ball and place it on a floured surface.
- Knead the dough until it is soft and pliable, about 6-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the oil to a clean bowl and coat the bowl with oil. Place the dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit 30 minutes.
- While the dough is sitting, make the paste by combining the flour, salt, shortening, and oil.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll each into a smooth ball. Use a rolling pin to roll the ball into a rectangle about 18-inches long. Add 1/6 of the paste to the dough and sprinkle with green onions.
- From the long end, roll the dough to form a strand. Then coil the dough around each other to make a flat circle, like a cinnamon roll. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Roll the flat circle into an 8-inch disk. Repeat.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high and add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot add one pancake and cook both sides until golden brown, about 4-6 minutes per side. Serve.
These pancakes can be frozen uncooked in plastic bags. Let thaw in the fridge before cooking. Cut each pancakes into 12 slices and serve with toothpicks for an appetizer.
Perfect PairingServe these Pancakes with Chinese BBQ Duck Meatballs. [embed_recipe id='18103']
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.