Chili Con Queso
It doesn't get any more delicious than Chili con Queso. This dip is filled with two different cheeses, spicy pork sausage and green chilies.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 lb spicy breakfast sausage
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup freshly shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 Tbsp Chopped cilantro
- tortilla chips
- In a small bowl whisk together the milk and cornstarch. Grate the cheeses.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, chopped green chilies and garlic and cook two minutes. Add the sausage and crumble, cooking until the sausage is no longer pink. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Cook until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the cheeses. Add in the paprika and salt and place in a serving dish.
- Garnish the dip with chopped tomato and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.
Make sure to remove the milk mixture from the heat before adding the cheese to prevent it from curdling. While grating cheese takes a bit more effort, we think it adds a creaminess pre-grated cheese can't give. After all, pre-grated cheese is usually filled with potato starch.
Perfect PairingCool off with our Strawberry Lime Agua Fresca [embed_recipe id='26939']
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.