Chicken Tortilla Soup
Warm yourself to the bones with this spicy and flavorful Mexican soup.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (Or use 2 cups shredded chicken)
- 1 tbs paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium onion, diced (Keep 1/4 cup separate to use for garnish)
- 3 garlic, minced
- 1-2 jalapeños, chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 15 oz black beans
- 15 oz corn (Or hominy)
- 10 oz crushed tomato with chilis
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 6 cups broth
- 3 tbs corn meal
- 1/4 cup water
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/2 cup Monterrey jack cheese
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Combine paprika, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Drizzle chicken breast lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle on spice blend. Set aside what isn't used. Add a little salt and pepper if desired.
- Bake until chicken is done, about 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, shred then set aside.
- Heat 2 tbs olive oil over medium heat. Once warm, add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and jalapeño, and cook for another minute.
- Add what remains of the spice blend, as well as cayenne, oregano, salt, and pepper, if desired.
- Stir in beans, corn, tomatoes, and tomato paste, then cook for about a minute.
- Add broth then bring the soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, then add the shredded chicken. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix cornmeal with water then pour into the soup. Taste the soup to gauge the seasoning and add what you'd like. Let simmer another 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let rest about 15 minutes before serving. Prep the toppings.
- Add the tortilla strips to the soup, then serve topped with your favorite topping combinations!
Try it with fresh cornbread in place of tortilla strips.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.