Caprese Salad with Grilled Avocados
Rich, creamy avocado with a slight crunchy char and hint of smoke bring wonderful depth to this beautiful tomato and mozzarella salad.
- 3 large, firm avocados
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 cups small mozzarella balls, drained and patted dry
- 1 oz basil
- Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the olive oil and garlic in a small bowl of mason jar and let rest for 1 hour to infuse the flavors. (Do not make this ingredient ahead of time, it's best to make same day. If you're looking for a faster work around, add 1/2 tsp garlic powder to the olive oil instead of fresh garlic.)
- Halve the tomatoes and cut the mozzarella if necessary. Toss together in a large bowl with 1 to 2 tbs of the garlic oil.
- Pit and peel the avocado, then slice into thick 1/2 inch slices. Lightly brush on the olive oil. Gently place the slices over hot coals for 1 to 2 minutes, really just to get a good char mark and a kiss of smoke flavor.
- Plate the avocado. Pour the remaining oil over the tomatoes and mozzarella, tossing to coat. Pour this mix over the avocados. Sprinkle on the basil leaves, cutting or tearing the ones that are too big.
- Liberally sprinkle with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.