Cake mixes aren't just for baking cakes and cupcakes. Did you know that a box of cake mix plus vegetable oil and eggs can make yummy soft-baked cookies? Invented during the Great Depression era as a way to use up a surplus of molasses, the first cake mix was for gingerbread, which home cooks could add water to and bake in their own ovens. It wasn't until after WWII that the cake mix business really started to rise when the cake mix was noted for its convenience. The same goes for today, where consumers pick pre-made cookie dough or cake mix to make dessert without having to deal with measuring or chilling.
Take a look on TikTok and you'll find hundreds of videos sharing how to make cookies out of cake mix. While this practice has been around longer than the video app, it's been given a new life and I couldn't be happier.
How Do You Make Cookie Dough Out of Cake Mix
All you need is a large bowl, any flavor of cake mix, 2 large eggs, and 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Mix everything together in the mixing bowl and roll the dough into balls or use a cookie scoop and place on a greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet or cookie sheet. Bake until set but still soft and chewy, about 10 minutes. The total time is really based on preference for this easy recipe. Let cool on a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.
15 Cake Mix Cookie Mix-in Combos
The beauty of this recipe is how versatile it is. Start with your cake mix, add the eggs and oil, and whatever mix-ins you desire. To get you started, we put together some of our favorite add-in combinations:
- Red velvet cake mix+ white chocolate chips
- Strawberry cake mix + mini chocolate chips
- Lemon cake mix + white chocolate chips
- Chocolate cake mix + peanut butter chips
- Butter pecan cake mix + canned pumpkin
- Yellow cake mix + chopped Reese's
- Carrot cake mix+ pecans
- ?German chocolate cake mix + shredded coconut
- Devil's food cake mix + M&m's
- Spice cake mix + walnuts
- Funfetti cake mix + extra sprinkles
- Lemon cake mix + white chocolate chips = lemon cookies
- Vanilla cake mix + chocolate chips = chocolate chip cookies
- White cake mix + rolled in cinnamon sugar = snickerdoodles
- Vanilla cake mix + vanilla extract + rolled in sugar = sugar cookies
Which mix-in will you be trying first?
Products featured on Wide Open Eats are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.