Black Bean Burger
These black bean burgers are the perfect thing for inviting vegetarian friends to a BBQ or when you're just craving something healthy and hearty.
- 2 cans black beans, drained (About 15 oz each)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 egg
- Process the onion and garlic in a food processor. Otherwise, grate or very finely chop.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the black beans with a fork. We don't want those puréed, leave some beany chunks. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bean bowl and stir to evenly mix. Set aside and let rest 5 minutes.
- Heat your favorite oil (or butter, or both!) in a skillet over medium low. Meanwhile, form the bean mix into 4 equally sized patties.
- Cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side, to crunch up the outside and warm up the middle. Add some sliced cheddar or swiss after cooking the first side, if desired.
- Serve on toasted buns with your favorite burger fixings, and enjoy!
These patties need a bit more of a gentle touch with cooking as they're more likely to fall apart than full meat burgers. If you're looking to cook them on the grill to get that wonderful smoky flavor, we recommend either using a cast iron, or putting some foil down on a small section of the grill.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.