Who doesn't love a good, simple side dish? We think baked hush puppies are pretty high on the list of great appetizers or snack options, and they're really not all that difficult to make.
Perhaps more of a staple in the south than further north, baked hush puppies are an easy baked good anyone with basic cooking skills should be able to manage. Here, we're offering up a pretty simple recipe for this Southern side favorite.
How to Make Baked Hush Puppies
First off, you'll need the following ingredients: yellow cornmeal, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cayenne pepper, finely chopped onions, eggs, milk, and canola oil. (If you need to make a gluten-free option, you'll have to substitute accordingly.)
Before doing anything else, preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Then, spray the mini muffin cups of mini muffin pans or a muffin tin with nonstick vegetable cooking spray. Blend together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and red pepper all in a medium bowl.
Mini Muffin Pan
Next, stir in the onions, then beat the eggs, milk, and oil in a small bowl. The next step is to add to the cornmeal mixture and stir in the mixing bowl until it's blended. It's ok to take your time!
Finally, bake until golden brown and just a bit crispy, so for about 15 to 20 minutes. You should be able to insert a toothpick into the center of a baked hush puppy and have it come out clean. Once they seem ready, serve your delicious side immediately to get the most out of all your hard work!
Baked Hush Puppies are a Quick Southern Side
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onions finely chopped
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Spray the mini muffin cups of mini muffin pans/muffin tin with nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
- Blend the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and red pepper all in a medium bowl. Stir in the onions.
- Beat the eggs, milk, and oil in a small bowl. Add to the cornmeal mixture and stir in the mixing bowl until it's blended.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of a baked hush puppy and make sure it comes out clean. Serve immediately.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.