The best thing about apple orchards in the fall is that they always have some kind of apple donuts for sale. But if you can't make it out to an orchard, we've got a donut recipe that will make you feel like you're there. These apple cinnamon donuts are quick and easy, and while you can make them ahead to eat the next day, we're pretty sure once these delightful cake donuts are out of the oven, you won't be able to wait that long.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a donut pan with cooking spray. Then add the unsalted butter and apple cider together to a saucepan, let the butter melt and then let the mixture cool to room temperature. When it's cool, whisk the brown sugar, white sugar, honey, ginger and egg into the melted butter and cider mixture.
In a medium bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients (both the all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg). Then, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until everything is just combined. Carefully spoon the batter into the donut pan. Bake until the apple cinnamon donuts are golden brown, which should take a total time of about 7-9 minutes. Remove donuts from pan and place them on wire rack. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture over the donuts while they're still hot.
Baked Apple Cinnamon Donuts
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour Can sub. regular flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 large egg
- Cinnamon sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter and cider together in saucepan, setting aside to cool completely.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg) in medium bowl.
- Whisk sugars, honey, ginger, and egg into cooled cider-butter mixture.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry until just combined.
- Spray donut pan liberally and fill each donut slot with mixture.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes - donuts should be golden brown.
- Remove donuts from pan and cool on wire rack. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over donuts while hot.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.