I usually spend all of November daydreaming about the amazing Thanksgiving food in my future. The pies are what keep me up at night, from chocolate pecan to pumpkin to cherry pie. But of course, we can't forget about the turkey. Juicy turkey smothered in gravy is where it's at, especially when accompanied with mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. But what if we told you that turkey could be even more delicious this year? This year, the way to enjoy your turkey is by wrapping it in an indulgent layer of crispy bacon.
There's a fight in our house. Some of us love my bacon wrapped turkey . Everyone else is dumb! ? @ Lees Summit, Missouri https://t.co/CPPwyVW6Pe
— 73-Productions (@73_productions) November 9, 2020
This bacon wrapped turkey recipe will revolutionize your Thanksgiving meal! As much as we all love turkey, it does have a tendency to be on the drier side at times, especially the turkey breast. This bacon adds the flavor and crispiness to make this bacon wrapped turkey the tastiest Thanksgiving turkey you've ever had.
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Turkey
First, preheat your oven temperature to 375°. Chop your onion, then rinse your fresh turkey with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Stuff the turkey's cavity with thyme, rosemary and onion, then tie legs together with twine and tuck in the wings.
Melt butter, and combine with seasonings in a medium bowl, stirring until fully mixed. Brush turkey with butter mixture, covering the whole turkey.
Place turkey in a roasting pan on a roasting rack, and then place strips of bacon on turkey. Weave slices of bacon together until you've created a fully covered bacon wrapped turkey!
Bake for 3 hours, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the turkey's thigh (the thickest part) is an internal temperature of 165°. If you prefer to baste your turkey, do so about every 20 minutes throughout cooking time to ensure juicy, moist turkey meat. Check your bacon-wrapped turkey after 2 hours and cover with foil if bacon is getting too dark.
Circulon Nonstick Roasting Pan
Once finished cooking, let your bacon wrapped turkey rest at room temperature until cooled enough to eat. Carve turkey on a turkey cutting board, with a juice groove to collect excess liquids. Then enjoy this crispy, delicious Thanksgiving meal!
Products featured on Wide Open Eats are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Bacon Wrapped Turkey
- 1 11 pound turkey, giblets and neck removed
- 1 apple
- 1 bunch Thyme
- 1 bunch rosemary
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp Umami seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb thick cut bacon
- Preheat oven to 375°. Chop onion, then rinse your fresh turkey with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Stuff turkey's cavity with thyme, rosemary and onion, then tie legs together with twine and tuck in the wings.
- Melt butter, and combine with seasonings in a medium bowl, stirring until mixed. Spread the entire turkey with butter mixture.
- Place turkey in a roasting pan, and then place strips of bacon on turkey. Weave slices of bacon together until fully covered.
- Bake for 3 hours, or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the turkey's thigh is 165°. Check bacon wrapped turkey after 2 hours and cover with foil if bacon is getting too dark.
- Once finished cooking, let your turkey rest at room temperature until cooled enough to eat. Then carve away!