Baby Chick Cheese Balls
These adorable mini-cheeseball baby chicks will delight your guests and steal the show anytime you need a plate of bite-sized appetizers.
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 carrot
- 60 peppercorns
- 30 crackers
- Combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, Worcestershire sauce, turmeric, garlic powder, and onion powder in a food processor or large bowl. Blend to thoroughly combine. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
- Wipe out the inside of that food processor, and put the remaining shredded cheese in it. We want to process it again so that the strands of cheese will be smaller and stick to the tiny chicks better. Transfer this cheese to a pie dish or rimmed plate.
- Cut the carrot in half, lengthwise, then slice into half moons. Keep 60 of them for the feet, then cut ridges into 30 more of them. That'll give you the beaks as well as the chicks' combs.
- Use a tablespoon or melon baller and scoop out 1/2 tablespoon portions of the cream cheese blend. Shape into balls, then roll in the double shredded cheese.
- Stick the chicks firmly to their crackers, then attach the feet, beaks, and combs. Use whole peppercorns for the eyes.
The cream cheese can be made and refrigerated a day or two ahead of time. You may even find that the chilled cream cheese is easier to work with.
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.