Sandwiched with a creamy caramelcenter , these Alfajores are a popular sweet treat in the South American country of Peru.
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dulce de leche
- In a bowl whisk together the cornstarch, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time, mixing between each addition. Add in the vanilla extract then mix in the dry ingredients until a dough forms. Form the dough into a smooth ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the cookie dough 1/4-inch thick. Using a circle cutter, cut the dough and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake until edges are just golden, about 13 minutes.
- Once cooled spoon a bit of the dulce de leche on the bottom of a cookie and sandwich another cookie on top. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and repeat with the remaining cookies.
These cookies are very popular in Peru. Let these cookies cool completely before adding the caramel.
Perfect PairingWe love bringing tasty food on picnics. [embed_recipe id='30551']
Enjoy Country Music?
Sign up for daily stories delivered straight to your inbox.