A two-time world boxing champion has been shot and killed outside his home in South Africa.
Videos by Wide Open Country
Zolani Tete, 38, died following an ambush in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape, on Friday.
Officials say Tete was sitting in his car waiting for the gate to his home to open when two armed suspects wearing balaclavas arrived in another vehicle and fired "multiple shots".
A 27-year-old female passenger also suffered injuries in the attack and was rushed to the hospital for treatment.
Boxer Dies After Being Gunned Down Outside Home
The latest reports state that authorities have taken two people into custody in connection with Tete's murder.
Police detained the suspects, aged 30 and 22, in Kugompo City. They had reportedly fled the scene following the shooting before authorities tracked them down.
Investigators expect to make further arrests as they continue questioning the current suspects and piece together the circumstances surrounding the attack.
Police have also urged members of the public and media to avoid speculation while the investigation remains ongoing.
"South Africa has lost one of the finest fighters it has ever produced," South Africa's minister of sport, arts and culture, Gayton McKenzie, said.
Tete captured the WBO bantamweight title in 2017 and held the championship until 2019. He also became the IBF super-flyweight champion in 2014.
The South African finished his professional career with a 29-4 record. This record included 22 knockout victories and one no contest across 34 fights.
Zolani Tete Was Preparing for Boxing Comeback
Tete last stepped into the ring in 2022, initially defeating Jason Cunningham in London.
However, officials later changed the result to a no contest after Tete tested positive for a banned substance following the fight.
The positive test resulted in a four-year suspension from boxing, which recently expired.
Reports state that Tete had returned to training and was preparing to make his comeback at the time of his death. His manager, Mlandeli Tengimfene, had previously revealed plans for him to fight on November 29.
"We shared the canvas and pushed each other to be our absolute best inside the squared ring," Tete's former opponent John Riel Casimero said.
"A true warrior and champion. Rest in peace, champ. Prayers with your family and loved ones."
Casimero, who described himself as "shocked" and "heartbroken" by the news, defeated Tete in November 2019 to capture his WBO bantamweight championship.
Tete holds the Guinness World Record for the fastest knockout in a world title fight after stopping Siboniso Gonya in just 11 seconds in 2017.
