Effective Date: This policy was last updated on 02/04/2014
Wide Open Country contains links to other sites and we are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every Web site that collects Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
Wide Open Country gathers information about its users mainly to enhance their experience on the site and on email newsletters. This information is used to bring you content that is relevant to your interests. Additionally, Wide Open Country, along with our advertising partners, gather information about you anonymously to provide you with more targeted advertising messages that are catered to your location and interests. You can opt out of information gathering for advertising purposes below.
Personal Information/ Information You Directly Provide To Wide Open Country:
When registering, commenting, or signing up for newsletters, you may provide Wide Open Country with personal information, including but not limited to:
- Personal contact information (name, zip code, email address, phone numbers)
- User names (including social media user names)
- Correspondence with Wide Open Country staff
- Billing Information (for paid Wide Open Country products)
You are not required to provide Wide Open Country with any personal information in order to use the site. All information that is collected is the sole property of the site, and that information is not distributed outside of the site unless required by law.
Non-Personal Information Automatically Collected
This type of information is collected anonymously through the use of tracking technology using third-party cookies, web beacons, and other similar methods. No Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is collected through this methodology. This information may include, but is not limited to:
- Hardware/software information (geographic location, IP address, browser type, device type, operating system, bandwidth, etc.)
- Analytics information (time spent on site, number of pages viewed, referring web page, browsing information, etc.)
- Advertising information (type of ads seen, number of times ads were served, pages where the ads were served)
- Information collected through HTML cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies.
Information Collected Through Third-Party Sources
This type of information is collected anonymously by approved third-party partners (such as online marketing firms, research companies, social media companies, ad targeting firms, and other partners). None of the information collected by these sources contains any PII. This type of information includes but is not limited to:
- Demographic information (gender, age, HHI, job title, interests, etc.)
- Advertising information (clicks, interactions, post-impression performance data)
- Social networking information (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Research information (data collected from partners such as Nielsen, Comscore, Quantcast, etc.)
What Is Done With The Collected Information?
Email Communications: Wide Open Country may use the information that you submit to send you email communications, such as newsletters, breaking news, information about the site, alerts, and promotional messages from advertising partners.
Site Analysis: Wide Open Country uses the information collected through third-party sources to learn and analyze how the site is used. We use this information to enhance the site by making improvements based on the data collected.
Advertising: Display Ads are delivered from our adserver, DFP for Small Publishers powered by Google,. At times third-party information is used to deliver targeted ads to you, your location, and your interests. We also use Third-Party Ad Platforms (such as DFP, Google AdSense and others) to deliver ads on our site. No PII is exchanged with any type of advertising message on Wide Open Country.
How We Share Information Collected
There are very few specific circumstances when your information is shared outside of the company, these circumstances include but are not limited to:
- If you comment or use the Facebook, Twitter, Google +, Yahoo, Hotmail and/or like apps on Wide Open Country, the information you submit (including your social media user name, etc) is or may be viewable to the public.
- Wide Open Country may need to disclose personal information to comply with a judicial proceeding, a court order, or any other legal process.
- We employ third-party services to distribute email newsletters and these third-parties have access to specific information only for the purposes of fulfilling contracts on our behalf.
- In the event Wide Open Country goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of a portion of its assets, users’ personal information will, in most instances, be part of the assets transferred.
Wide Open Country does not allow any third-party company to use your email address for commercial purposes without your expressed permission. We will send you newsletter communications, partner sponsorship messages, account alerts, and any other emails you have requested to receive. If you would like to opt-out of any specific newsletters or mailings, please login or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to your profile to change your newsletter settings.
Children Under 13: Wide Open Country does not knowingly target advertising to, or collect information from children under the age of 13.
Security: Wide Open Country uses all reasonable means to safeguard data against unauthorized use and theft.
A cookie (otherwise known as an HTTP cookie) is a small piece of code which can be sent from a web site or banner ad and stored on a user’s web browser. The cookie stores data such as preferences, previous activity, and other information. For more information on HTTP cookies and other online advertising definitions please visit IAB’s web site.
For More Information
Below are links to the privacy policies of some of our partners and links to advertising opt outs.
DFP for Small Publishers, powered by Google, is the adserving platform on Wide Open Country.
If you want to opt-out of receiving targeted ads from DFP, visit this link. Opting out does not mean you will not get ads from DFP; it means DFP will not collected non-personal information about you, nor will it serve ads targeted to your interests.
Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) is part of the industry’s self-regulatory initiative. If you would like to opt out of third-party partners’ non-personal information tracking, visit the NAI opt-out section. Opting out does not mean you will not receive advertising on Wide Open Country. It ensures that your non-personal information will not be automatically tracked by the sites you have opted out of.
If you have questions about privacy please contact us at email@example.com.