Whoever said that potatoes were only for dinner has clearly never had sweet potato cobbler. This unique and decadent dessert dish is equally delicious as it is southern.
Whether you’re serving it at Thanksgiving dinner or during a backyard summer barbecue, the mouth-watering cobbler is easy to make and great for all different types of occasions. This recipe from Grand Diamond Seasoning calls for the following.
- 2½ pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 1¾ cups of granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup of light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 stick of butter (melted)
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1¾ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups of water (use the water the sweet potatoes were boiled in)
- 3 level tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 ready-to-use pie crusts
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon of water
With a relatively easy preparation process and 45 minute bake time, keep this recipe handy in your kitchen for the next time you have a sweet tooth. Watch a CookingWithCarolyn video tutorial of the full recipe below.
The candied potatoes and the buttery, flaky crust combine to create a bite that is sure to leave you drooling for more. Add a dollop of whipped cream or scoop of vanilla ice cream to take your dish to the next level.
This recipe makes 10-12 servings, but be prepared to be without any leftovers. Yes, this dish is seriously the “eat the whole pan in one sitting” kind of good.